Monday, June 27, 2011

Churros From Heaven

There are two food items I find myself craving often but cannot indulge in due to various reasons. One is Planter's PB Crisps, a peanut-shaped 3d cookie from the 90s with a smooth peanut butter filling that has long been discontinued. The other is Walt Disney World churros.
I had my first churro ever in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Oh how amazing! My four-but-almost-five-year-old tongue was delighted by the sugar and cinnamon coating and the simple fried dough base. Caramel sauce wasn't even necessary. On my Epcot visit last fall, after over 14 years away from the World, churros were the first thing on my to-do list. I don't remember how the Magic Kingdom churros were served, but at the Mexico pavilion they were served as four short sticks in a paper boat, with a little plastic cup of caramel (dulce de leche?) sauce.
From http://gidgeteats.com/ - I'd have taken my own pic but I ate them too fast

There's something special about Disney churros. Maybe Disney magic is part of the recipe? I've bought churro sticks from the freezer section of the supermarket, and I've bought them at other theme parks. Don't even get me started on Taco Bell's cinnamon twists. The closest to Disney flavor that I've tasted are the sopapillas at On the Border, but those aren't in a convenient stick form.
Supposedly in the west coast parks the churro presence is stronger, and churro carts are far more abundant with the tasty treats coming in a variety of flavors. I've never been to Disneyland or DCA unfortunately, so I can't compare from firsthand experience. I can say that even if it takes a little bit of effort to find, you should not leave Disney World without trying a churro. Or at least don't leave without buying a few for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment